Believe it or not, I’m prepping for another race this weekend. Is this becoming a habit?
Where am I going this time? I’m off to the sinful city of Las Vegas to run the Rock N’Roll Las Vegas ½ Marathon. This will be my second time running this race. For the life of me, I can’t remember why I ran the race back in 2007, I just remember it was a fun race.
Why is it fun?
· It’s a FLAT FLAT FLAT course. I’ve already discussed at length my personal hatred of hills. I think I’ve whined about it on almost every course. I’ll have to come up with something else to whine about. You also get to run down the Vegas strip which is just cool
· Fireworks! I’m a sucker for the sparkly stuff. The race starts at the unhealthy hour of 6.15am (no that wasn’t a type-o) so the race organizers start it off right with a firework display. It’s awesome for the folks in the back (me), not so entertaining for the elite runners. Something tells me that the elite runners aren’t blogging about fireworks so I’m not sure that’s a problem.
· Course entertainment. Not only do they have all the folks from the Vegas shows out on the course to entertain you while you run, but they also have a run through wedding chapel (yes, I did try to convince Randall to do it with me back in 2007).
· Vegas Baby! Fabulous dining, Cirque du Soleil and Spa activities. There’s also a ton more fun stuff that goes on in Vegas but I can’t tell you about it ….well you know…what stays in Vegas etc.
· Two words – Running Elvi (according to the event coordinators site – the plural of Elvis) You just have to laugh at that.
Why is this year going to be even funner? (yes, I know this isn’t a word but it works for me)
· Protégé’s. I’m SO excited about this part of the race. I have convinced/beaten down/harassed my friend Tom to enter his first race ever! I’ve been prodding him lightly over the last couple of weeks to get him ready for the race. I’m like a proud Mama. I think I’m going to have to convince him to write a race report.
· Fab friends. Yes, the LaFontaine crew from France and the Fro Fro will be joining me again this year to run and play. We’re going to have to come up with a team name. Any ideas?
Do I feel ready? Yes and No. Running the 13.1 miles isn’t going to be a problem. I ran my own personal 12 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day. The distance I was fine with, the speed not so much. I can’t say that I’m rolling on confidence in hitting the 2 hour 20min goal I set for the race. I also ran the 12 miler with my 12 year old nephew Gus, he’s kicked his Auntie’s tuckus. Am I making a habit of freaking myself out before races as well?
Stay tuned for my Vegas Race Repot, and hopefully one from Tom too.